Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Class 1 - Twitter can be educational?!?

Greetings to you all.  Taking a moment to reflect on what we all learned today.  My blog title is somewhat in jest, but I have been on Twitter for about three years.  My interest in it began as a way to get quick updates on the Iowa Hawkeyes, as I am an Iowa alumnus and I live and breathe Hawkeye football.  As I progressed in my discovery of the technology, it became a source for quick chuckles and later as a source for real news.  Finally, it became a networking tool as I have met a number a good people through Twitter, and many have been very helpful in answering questions or thoughts I've had on a plethora of topics.  I think that ends up being the key focus of what I learned today; while Twitter has a number of useful functions, one that I had not greatly considered was that of professional development and its use as an educational tool in the classroom. As we discussed 'trade-offs' today, one of the biggest one I've found with Twitter is that of the proliferation of false information.  I expect that is something we'll discuss in the future as something with which to be cautious, but for tomorrow, I simply look forward to learning a little more depth on Google Reader and Blogger, two programs that were totally foreign to me before today.  This is already a fascinating start to the class!

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment